ScreenUsed has a complete workshop for creating custom display cases for your props and wardrobe. Each display is uniquely styled to accommodate the individual prop or costume piece. The majority of our display cases can include printed screen captures if the movie is available on DVD, along with a custom descriptive plaque. Please view some of our past display cases on this page for examples, along with the Archive section of the website.
Each display case we create is hand made and unique for the piece. Click here for a sample of past custom displays.
There are several guidelines we follow when designing our display cases:
- We will not "string up" or wire a piece to the display. All of our pieces are carefully placed into custom hand made holders or held in place so they are not damaged. We will obviously not glue a piece to a display which could cause damage as well.
- We will not ship the display case with the piece still in the display. Your piece will be carefully packed separately to prevent damage. When items are shipped in displays there is a high probability that the item will be shaken and will vibrate during shipping. If it is forcefully held in place with wire, or some other type of strapping, the piece may be damaged from the movement. Imagine your piece pinched to a backdrop, vibrating during shipment, to the point where small pieces are actually scratched away by the wire, and laying at the bottom of the display when you receive it. Or potentially worse, the item has broken free from the wire and bounces around unprotected within the display.
- We tend to try and keep the logo for the movie smaller than the actual piece. After all, the idea of a display case is to put focus on the artifact, not the display case. We want the piece to look as it would be displayed in a museum.
- All of our wall mounted display cases allow viewing the piece from the sides, top, bottom, and the front. Our desktop display cases can allow a 360 degree view of the piece if desired, as well as the ability to handle the piece. This open design of our display cases alleviates the need for any kind of lighting within the display case.
- We will not smash a costume piece into a frame behind glass. If your piece is important to you, it should be carefully placed on a mannequin, or a partial torso mannequin which we can then mount in a display case. Folding the costume in order to accommodate a standard sized frame does not achieve the natural look of the costume as used on screen.
In order to create a perfectly fit display case for your piece, it is usually best for the item to be shipped to us. We will protect and care for your piece as we do our own personal collection. However, there are always risks involved when shipping valuable pieces. We will also pack the item extremely well for its return trip back to you. ScreenUsed fully insures your piece once it has reached our facility, along with the trip back to your location. We will only ship using a tracked carrier to and from our workshop location in Florida.
We can create custom half cylinders for half wardrobe displays as well as full sized 6 foot high displays. Pricing for each display case will depend on a number of factors based on the complexity to build. As an example, the Forrest Gump jacket display to the right (which measures 30" wide by 36" tall by 15" deep) would be priced about $1350.
Museum Style Pedestals
Standard pedestals measure 12" x 12" x 36". Standard colors are black, white and almond. Custom pedestals of any width and height, and designer surfaces are also available. We can also create a custom display case for use on top of the pedestal when you select the museum display case edge.
Pricing starts at $299 for the standard 12" x 12" x 36" pedestal, which includes shipping within the 48 contiguous US states.
For more details and all of the options, click here for the pedestal page.
Custom Turned Bases
These bases will enhance the look of that special piece in your collection. Each turned base is a custom work of art and is designed with your prop in mind, to complement it while on display. Turned bases can be either acrylic or wood and can feature a mix of colors and shape to add that extra touch of style to the display. If you have an interest in these bases, please feel free to contact us to discuss if a turned base is the perfect fit for a prop in your collection.
Pricing for each display case will depend on a number of factors based on the complexity to build. As a rough example, the Star Wars X-Wing Fragment desktop display case to the right (which measures 18" wide x 14" tall x 8.5" deep) would be priced about $450. The Aliens Resurrection AR-1 Rifle display stand (no cover) would be priced about $175. The Spiderman 3 Goblin Sword wall mounted display case (measuring 37" tall x 10.5" wide x 4" deep) would be priced about $550.
If you are interested in a quote for a custom display case, click here and select the ADD button on the item and complete the checkout process. During the checkout process, in the comments area, please describe what piece you are trying to display, and measurements you may have, along with any questions. We will reply to your order and start a discussion on various display options such as wall mount or table top, along with a quote for the display along with estimated shipping. The cost for estimated shipping will include sending your piece back as well as the display case.