Gone In 60 Seconds / Jaguar XJ220
Status - SOLD
- Year: 1992
- Mileage: Approx. 500 miles
- Color: Silver (Ext.) / Black (Int.)
- Condition: As new
- Location: Los Angeles
One of only 278 made worldwide, from a planned run of 350 - the remaining were never manufactured.
The Jaguar XJ220, launched in the early 1990s, is considered the fastest production car in the world. With 542 horsepower on tap, the XJ220 blistered from 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and hurtled on to a record-breaking production car top speed of 217 mph (and though the McLaren F1 was later tested slightly faster, the XJ220 still holds the record, as the made-to-order McLaren is not considered a production car, but a custom vehicle).
This particular XJ220 is also the only one on the market with a very classy looking black leather interior. When placing the orders, customers were reduced to a limited choice of interior colors (grey and tan). However, when this car was ordered, the owner insisted on black leather and Jaguar complied and delivered the only vehicle of this type in the silver/black color combination.
The XJ220 offered here for sale is very unique in several ways:
- With only approximately 500 miles it is most likely the one with the lowest mileage available (when delivered from the Jaguar factory, all vehicles had been tested with 300 miles already).
- The car was featured in the Jerry Bruckheimer/Touchstone Pictures blockbuster film Gone In 60 Seconds. In the film, it was named "Bernadine", and the vehicle was handled by Academy Award winning actress Angelina Jolie (Girl Interrupted, Tomb Raider) who turned the scene into a quasi-commercial for the car, when commenting to co-star Nicolas Cage "I love this car!". On the Bonus Material section of the DVD, a few cars are shown, then this car spins around when the menu is displayed.
- The car was also featured in Vin (xXx) Diesel's action thriller A Man Apart. It is driven by the bad guy into his airplane hanger.
- It has also been featured in pop and hip hop icon Missy Elliott's infamous "She's A Bitch" music video, directed by star-director Hype Williams. You can view the video here: MTV Missy Elliott videos.
While film productions can sometimes be very strenuous for vehicles, a coordinator was always on set, assuring the car's safe and proper handling.
Of further importance might be the fact that a highly photo-realistic 3D/CGI model of the XJ220 is available that will afford the director the flexibility to put the vehicle in situations and environments which might otherwise be cost prohibitive / too dangerous to obtain with the actual vehicle. This model, created by a high-end Visual Effects Post Production House, is detailed down to the multi-coated waxed and buffed paint surface, with defining maps as high as 10,000 lines of resolution, making this CG car virtually indistinguishable from the actual vehicle.
The car is currently located in Los Angeles and can be viewed by appointment. Of note, Elton John sold his 1993 XJ220 for $331,000 at auction in the year 2001.